Eddie Howe confirms plans to stay at Newcastle, targets five new signings in summer window

Posted on: 05/13/2026

ilot bet casino login

According to the Chronicle, Newcastle United’s hierarchy have already begun meetings with player agents to finalize the club’s summer transfer shortlist, laying the groundwork for next month’s window. The priority targets include a new goalkeeper, a striker, a center-back, and a backup full-back.

Eddie Howe told beIN Sports that Newcastle are ready to move quickly in the transfer market this summer, adding that his current squad planning is already focused on the club’s long-term future. However, there remains significant uncertainty regarding departures. Anthony Gordon is likely to leave, while one of Sandro Tonali, Tino Livramento, or Bruno Guimarães could also follow him out the door.

Howe has made it clear he intends to stay on as manager for the 2026/27 season and lead the squad rebuild. The club’s summer recruitment drive will target a new goalkeeper, a striker, a center-back, and a backup full-back.

Whether Newcastle can complete five permanent signings like last summer remains unclear, but several high-earning players are approaching the end of their contracts, and potential free transfers could free up both wages and transfer funds.

In Sunday’s post-match press conference, Howe publicly praised Jacob Ramsey’s performances and hinted he could become a key player next season. Whether this signals a major midfield departure remains to be seen, but Newcastle have already acknowledged they must sell to raise funds for new arrivals. Tonali is reportedly attracting interest from Manchester City and Manchester United.

It is widely expected that Ramsdale will return to Southampton after his loan spell, while Nick Pope’s future is also uncertain. Leeds United are said to be interested in Pope, and Newcastle attempted to sign James Trafford last summer only to be beaten to the deal at the last minute. Trafford’s value has now risen above £40 million, and he is seen as a long-term successor to Jordan Pickford in the England goal—he is also set to feature in this summer’s World Cup. His wages would not be an issue for deep-pocketed Newcastle, and the player was open to joining last year.

With Kieran Trippier’s departure confirmed, the defense will need reinforcement, and Fabian Schär could also leave after six months of stalled contract negotiations. Howe has expressed his desire to keep Nick Woltemade and Joane Vissa, but the club urgently needs an experienced, reliable finisher. Newcastle have dropped 27 points from winning positions this season, a problem rooted not only in defensive frailties but also in a lack of a clinical striker to seal victories.

Jarrod Bowen has been linked with a move to Newcastle, with a reported price tag of £60 million. However, the club already has ample wing options in Anthony Elanga and Jacob Murphy, so unless one of them is sold, it would be difficult for Howe to justify signing Bowen. While not impossible, the Public Investment Fund (PIF) prefers to invest in younger talents, meaning any deal would require significant persuasion.

Sporting director Ross Wilson is leading the transfer negotiations, and Howe has made clear which positions need strengthening, with the aim of returning Newcastle to the top half of the Premier League. With two extra Champions League spots available this season, Newcastle are likely to miss out on even the Europa Conference League after the 2025/26 campaign, a situation Howe must reflect on deeply this summer.

There is still room for adjustment and recovery, but the transfer window must be opened early and moved quickly. Howe has already communicated this clearly to Wilson and CEO David Hopkinson.